Tuesday 23 February 2010

My life in three acts

I went to see the rather marvellous life story of Bette Bourne the other day at the Soho theatre. It was a moving and amusing slice of living history that is usually hidden in the LGBT world.

Although it was slightly scripted - a re-enactment of a conversation between Bette and Mark Ravenhill - it was still pretty amazing.

I could have listened to Bette talk for hours. It made me wonder why we never get to hear from the older LGBT crowd. If you listen to Bette's story it make's you realise that many of his peers probably never made it that far.

I think we should listen more to wonderful people like Bette and learn from the tales they have to tell.

Lesson number 1: If someone picks you up in Soho, takes you back to their flat, and tells you they are not queer, they are probably lying. As Bette said, 'turned out he was very queer indeed!' LOL

No comments: