Friday 25 July 2008

Friends of Dorothy anyone

I went, on my own like a bit of a saddo, to see the Wizard of Oz at the Royal Festival Hall on opening night.

I had been worried that no one would want to go with me, and that if they did, they wouldn't want to sit in the cheap seats (I am on an economy drive).

Although I was in the gods I had a great seat and I was really quite excited. I remember seeing the Wizard of Oz as a child, starring Charlie Drake as the cowardly lion. We met him afterwards as even then I had friends in high places!

It was fun watching all the mad children, exasperated parents and the queens before the show started. The show itself was pretty good too.

I had originally thought to myself that Dorothy had a bit of an annoying accent, however, after listening to the couple behind me bitching about everything throughout the interval, I felt quite sorry for her. They were even complaining that Toto was not the right colour. Correct me if I'm wrong but I imagine the acting dogs pool is fairly small, and toto was adorable - although white.

My favourite childhood memories were brought back by the chorus girls, the munchkins (have to admit I would have preferred little people to children) and the yellow brick road.

I loved it. I have been dreaming in technicolour ever since and have constant Wizard of Oz songs going round my head. Go, but only if you can leave your adult self behind.

No comments: