Monday 25 May 2009

TJ, Tunnel 228 and The Dirty South

I have had a busy couple of days this bank holiday weekend, starting with laughing my head off on the waltzer at Blackheath fair. Followed by going to Blackheath Halls to see T J Higgs with some friends.

I have never been to Blackheath Halls before and I was struck by what a lovely venue it was, I shall definitely be looking at what is on there in the future. I have never seen T J Higgs before, and I thought she was very impressive; entertaining and insightful. She strikes me as a woman who doesn't suffer fools gladly.

Next on the agenda was tunnel 228. How to describe this? Mysterious, a little spooky and a little scary too.

I previously saw The Masque of the Red Death, so had a bit of an idea what to expect. This was more arty than the previous one. I did however, get a personal play when I ended up in a room which was decked out like an old fashioned office.

Having pushed the door and started to walk away, I was surprised when it opened. The monologue that was delivered to me as I sat in the chair was unnerving as he was standing, I was sitting and he was stroking my face! It was uncomfortable, but provoking. Exactly what I would expect from them.

I am glad I wasn't the person who got taken into the room with the guy watching a lap dance! Other highlights included the the light bulb room which when lit displayed a chair with Jesus sitting on it, the coffin with baby quail chicks breaking out, and the table with a woman and a crow sat at it.

After a full post theatre debrief we headed off to see Alabama 3 acoustic at the Dirty South. They were the most pissed I have ever seen them when they came on gone midnight, but they were at their most fun and I had a very good night.

No comments: