Thursday 1 May 2008

Hope not hate

Yes its the day of the elections and everyone is talking about it. I'm not going to, but I am going to tell you about the gig I went to last night.

It was organised by Hope not hate and was a night of rock against racism. What surprised me where the amount of campaigners and cameras outside the event. I did have a bit of a feeling they were preaching to the converted. I didn't spot any nasties there.

Inside there were speakers in between the music. Tony Benn seems to be a lovely man and he is a very good motivational speaker. I would also like him to be my grandad!

It was fun to see the Levellers again. It made me think back to the days of greenpeace rallies and sunny drunken days in fields. Rainy wednesday nights in Brixton isn't quite the same but the thought was there.

Misty in roots were brilliant and I think the only downside to this brilliance was that Alabama 3 ended up having to do quite a short set which was a shame for them. They have been known to play for hours on end, so 20 mins or so seemed a little bit wrong. They were in fine form though. Except for the suit wearing with no t-shirt underneath - No! This is never a good look.

Ended the night by sharing a taxi with the pianist from the Ritz. What a very nice man he is. Lives round the corner from me.

No comments: